Friday, December 11, 2009

09 Week 51 - Stress

Thesis defense has been over about 2 weeks, however my thesis doesn't actually fully end. I told many people how I did awfully in the defense and how nice Dr. Ng and Dr. Lukman guided me in answering questions, but I never told the whole story. I have been hiding the best part of the session, which is, Dr. Lukman seemed to like my paper and she praised my work. Oh. I felt flattered. That was totally out of my expectation, as I thought I did badly in my thesis writing. She said she recommended Dr. Ng to publish my paper. For few seconds, I wondered whether I was dreaming. Oh no. Before I left, they told me I should consider taking postgraduate course. For first time ever, I really felt being looked up. Both Dr. Ng and Dr. Lukman, my good teachers, they might not have idea how meaningful what they said to me during the session. 

After the defense, I wrote a thank you email to Dr. Ng and Dr. Lukman. Dr. Ng replied and asked me to see her next month, because we will be working on refining my paper for publication and conference presentation (like the coming ARUPS conference). Oh my god. I really doubt whether I'm living in the reality. Anyway, I neither feel good nor excited. To be honest, I see very little value of my paper to be published and presented. Findings are hardly significant to the field. I'm not satisfied. If I'm going to publish a research, this is not what I want to show people. To be precise, I don't want to work on it anymore. I have no motivation to keep working on something which I am not happy/satisfied with. Actually, I rather start a new research. 

So I emailed Dr. Ng and Dr. Lukman again, asking them whether I could reject their suggestion. Dr. Lukman said it's up to me, just that I might have lost a good opportunity to learn more. Dr. Ng asked me to email her again next month, after taking a break. My concern is unresolved. All I want is just very simple: stop working on that paper, and conduct a more meaningful research which I'd be happy to work toward publication. Sounds stupid to you, right? Giving up a good opportunity to publish a journal, due to this kind of childish emotional reason. But I just want to tell you, I have my own standard and thoughts. I live with them. I always believe they lead me to what I really desire and value.

I didn't bring it up before because I was still thinking about that. When my mind was not occupied, automatically my mind would ruminate about "working toward publication and conference presentation... on that paper." How do I feel? What do I want? What should I do? Finally, I think in order to go back to my peaceful mind state, declining the suggestion is the best option. Feel less flattered. Feel better. Feel like "I'm doing what I'm supposed to do now."

Next month, hopefully I can fully settle this issue and continue enjoying my vacation :-)

10 comments:

Y teng said...

not stupid la ^^ it is about ur value and principle... letting go this opportunity does not mean stupid... maybe, the time u become well known already wont be regret because of this 'less' quality publication... :p

hahaha... enjoy ur holiday lo

yungchien said...

hehe congrats gor~
well, everybody got their own dreams and aspirations~
not stupid, you just have a path you clearly want to take =)
just take it easy and think it over lo, if u dun wan it, den dun do it ^^

kp said...

one part of me is envy (seriously, but you dun have to bother this =p).
And congrats oh! =)

Mei San said...

wah..so nice...haha..If I were you, I would have told almost everyone already!!!! ahahaha....
But, in my opinion, you don't usually regret on your choice one..so, once you make a decision, just continue with it lor....you taught me this! ;p

sunbliss said...

i like ur saying "I have my own standard and thoughts. I live with them.I always believe they lead me to what I really desire and value."...inspiring quota ^^

lezheng said...

thanks for being supportive :D

jm said...

WHoaaa! This is something to be celebrated. Dinner on you, kay? :P
LOL! So the answer for the email is nothing to be surpised because it's just SO YOU.

I've got nothing to say but you really made Dr.Ng proud. I'm happy for you too :D HEHE!

lezheng said...

jengmun, please don't make me getting poorer... haha last night my sisters and i went to genting's ah yat bao yu restaurant, my wallet ended up only few ringgits left after the dinner

Mia Lim said...

hey, congratz :)

in my opinion, as meisan said in her comment, you seldom feel regret towards what you have decided.
i think the reason why this time you felt bothered is because u feel bad to reject Dr. Ng and Dr. Hera.

Up to you la.... both decisions sound good to me anyway....

JENGMUN, SAM said...

EHEHEHE don't you dare to mention ah yatbao yu. and dun you dare to mention it's with your sis because u have freudian slip that you're having with a 2 lai (i should tell kp) and that 2 lai MIGHT be a goat wth. HAHAH coz you've been identifying goat species in all animals in the zoo.

I HAVE EVIDENCE